Skin care myths uncovered
Myth: Tanning booths are safe as long as they don't contain UVB rays
- You know that tanning in the sun is unhealthy and can lead to skin cancer and premature aging. But what about tanning booths? Tanning booth companies often say that they are filtering out the so-called "sunburn" UVB rays but when you go to a tanning booth, you're still exposing your skin to UVA rays, which penetrate deeper into the skin and cause damage that can lead to premature aging and skin cancers. Luckily here at ‘the wax bar’ we know this and we offer a great spray tan product ‘Moroccan tan’ we can assist you with a safe indoor tanning option.
Myth: You don't need sunscreen on a cloudy day.
- Even on a cloudy day, UV radiation from the sun reaches the earth's surface. So make sure you use sunscreen every day and reapply it every two hours as well as after swimming or sweating.
- Our awesome sunscreen ‘skinnies’ is a safe nontoxic sun gel that you can apply once per day and it stays on your skin! Unless your swimming please apply after every 4 hours in the water
Myth: Scrubbing your face with soap will keep your skin healthy and acne free.
- When you scrub your face with soap, you're taking off some of the protective oils and barriers, which tend to lead to rashes and even burns. We use certified organic skincare called ‘plantae, they have a quick 3 step system cleanse, tone and moisturise to keep your skin looking its best
Myth: It's better to get the pus out of a pimple by popping it.
- The truth is, even though it feels really good to release [the pus], a lot of it just goes in deeper, when it goes in deeper, it causes more inflammation that can lead to scarring and spread under the skin. That's why you'll get another one a few days later close to the first one.
- Instead come in and use our oxygen teen range, if your skin is acting like a teenager it needs to be treated like a teenager. We can help you avoid the nasty scarring that pimples can cause.